Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Using Diatomaceous Earth to Deworm Animals


My puppy had a distended little belly, and didn't eat his breakfast. I got concerned, since I noticed it when he didn't really have an appetite last night, so I googled his symptoms. There were a bunch of options, mainly including:
  1. bloating- eating too fast and getting air
  2. gas
  3. twisted stomach
  4. obstruction in intestine
Another item that kept popping up was worms, and how you need to deworm puppies, as they get them from their mothers.

We hadn't done this yet. $$. Twisted stomach involved pain and imminent death, but he wasn't uncomfortable and it started the night before. I gave him some hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. It worked, his dinner came up, and he looked less bloated.


So, I knew diatomaceous earth (DE) was great for humans to get rid of parasites (isn't it funny, I don't want to say "deworm" when referring to humans!). So I thought, can I save some money and deworm them with DE, which I already have? Here's what I found:

Dosage:
Puppies less than 10 lbs. – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
Puppies 10 to 19 lbs. – 2 teaspoons
Dogs 20 to 50 lbs. – 1 to 1.5 tablespoons
Dogs 50+ lbs. – 2 tablespoons
*Humans – 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons daily (1 tbsp. AM, 1 tbsp. PM)

For the rest of the article, including more info about other benefits, click here. You have to be consistent with it for three weeks, mixing the food-grade DE (a powder) with milk or yogurt or on wet dog food.

Here is a good website that addresses using it on goats. Scroll down to where it addresses parasites.

I've found that food-grade DE is affordable at Five Star Preparedness.

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt and Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: