Saturday, May 12, 2012

Reusing Glass Containers by Cutting off the Tops


I really like one of my cookbooks, which is saying a lot, since I hate to cook. It's about fermenting foods to eat healthier and maintain a healthy gut. If you're interested, its called Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods. Fermenting helps food remain edible longer, which could be important to anyone living off-grid, etc. In addition, some food allergies can be nullified by fermenting and other foods are made more digestible by fermenting, an interesting fact to know if you may be feeding a baby or elderly person WTSHTF. Here is a great selection of books about and how-to ferment foods (and beverages!)

 

Anyway, you may be asking yourself, why did I click on a link to what I thought was an article about re-using glass jars, and here's an article about fermenting foods?! Well, because it was when I was thinking of fermenting a batch of cabbage into sauerkraut that I realized I was waay too cool to ferment in a plastic bucket, but I was waay too poor to afford a nice big crock. What to do?


My husband and younger daughter like this expensive apple juice that comes in a large gallon glass jar like the Gallo wine, above. I've kept three, thinking of making mead (also a fermentation!) but wasn't getting around to it. Then I realized if I could somehow get the sloping sides and narrow neck off the glass bottle, I could use it as a fermenting crock. 


A quick Google search led me to believe you could ferment foods in a clear container with no ill-effects on the food (because of light). However, keeping the glass "crocks" in a cabinet or whipping up some sleeves for them with dark fabric would be easy enough to do as well if you were concerned.


Anyway, the best way to do it was as follows: soak string in lighter fluid. Tie it around the glass jar at the point you want to cut. Set on fire. Grind edges smooth. For the full article click here.



Besides making fermenting crocks, you could create a set of glassware that will service your entire survival community from empty beer bottles, you could create pots for plants, you could make vases, etc etc!

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt and Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: