Saturday, January 14, 2012

How to Package 12,000 Gallons of Safe Drinkable Water


I purchased a box containing 5 one-pound bags of pool shock last summer at Wal-Mart. I don't remember the actual price, I think it was about $18.

I read on Rawle's Survival Blog that a safe way to package it for long-term is in a Reagent Bottle with ground glass stopper. Well, I didn't have any of those just lying around and had visions of antique bottles in expensive magazines. Then I did some searching on Amazon and found these for $5 each!



They are about exactly the right size to hold a one pound bag of Calcium Hypochlorite, or pool shock. Here's the recipes I got off of multiple posts also on Rawles' Survival Blog:

Bleach:

1/8 teaspoon pool shock
1 gallon water

Clean water:

dissolve 1/4 teaspoon pool shock into a quart jar of water. When it is completely dissolved, mix it into a 55 gallon drum of water that has been strained to remove visible impurities.

*One pint of bleach can purify 12 gallons of water.

Now in theory I have at least a handful of options:
  1. purify 60,000 gallons of water for my own use.
  2. sell 5000 pints of bleach to fund my survival lifestyle post SHTF
  3. let it sit on the shelf forever to be inherited by my children when nothing happens, insurance for under $50
This does not solve the prepper problem of where to get water, how to have enough water on hand, or where to store water. But it is an important and relatively inexpensive step to ensuring that what water you do find/collect/have is safe and drinkable.

In addition, it is an excellent option for a post SHTF income that you can feel good about. You help sheeple people with sanitation and hydration for a very low cost and storage space investment. Unlike a supply of cigarettes, liquor and primers, bleach and sanitized water is both valuable and moral.

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: