Monday, January 30, 2012

How Quickly the Numbers Change When You Add People

So, in order to be realistic and not deluding myself, I re-analyzed our food storage.

I added my parents, who live less than 5 miles away and don't have any food storage.

I added my husband's grandparents, who are probably coming live with us on April 1st.

And, excitedly, I added aother child because I'm pregnant (due end of July)!

So now my food storage plan is suddenly designed for 11 people, not 6.

(sigh)

When I used the Emergency Essetnials Food Storage Analyzer, I learned that I have 6 months of food stored for the entire needs of 11 people. This means, not supplementing with a garden or a grocery store, we are ALL set for 6 months.

However, I am running at 35% for Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Fat.

A multivitamin will help with most of that. Fat.... that's another story. I store coconut oil and olive oil. We don't eat a lot of meat, so I store what we eat: tuna fish, salmon, and chicken. I should can some sausage.

I'm planning this year to really take off in the goat and chicken farming I've been plotting/ coveting. So that should help a little, but I don't like to count on "when I's."

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

3 comments:

Chief Instructor said...

First of all, congrats on the new baby. Absolutely awesome!

I can a lot of burger/sausage. Generally, I do it in pint jars as that seems to work best for most of the recipes we use around the house - pasta sauce, soups (potato and sausage is to die for!), lasagna or anything where you add ground meat.

http://bisonrma.blogspot.com/2010/12/home-canned-burger.html

It includes my Italian Sausage recipe.

Chief Instructor said...

Sorry for the double-posting, but I forgot to leave links to my posts on making link sausage:

http://bisonrma.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-sausage-part-1.html

and

http://bisonrma.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-sausage-part-2.html

The Harried Homemaker said...

Congrats on the baby on the way! I think you're doing pretty well to have 6 months for that many people already. Like you, I have issues with Vitamin C in our food storage.