Sunday, January 8, 2012

Exercising Jus Soli to Ease Residency or Citizenship as an Ex-Pat

Expectant parents weigh many choices when they know they are having a joyful addition to the family. Among them are:
  • find out the gender?
  • make a birth plan?
  • go natural or get an epidural?
  • to circumsize or not?
A question less parents ask, is "What country should we have the baby in?" Here is an article that helps you weigh the decision, "Giving Birth Abroad, Setting Your Child Up with a Second Citizenship."

Jus Soliis a Latin term that means law of the soil. In some countries, jus soli system or birthright citizenship is followed. According to this principle, citizenship of a person is determined by the place where a person was born. Jus soli is the most common means to acquire citizenship of a nation. The system through which a person acquires citizenship through their parents or ancestors is called jus sanguinis. In the U.S., jus soli system is followed to determine citizenship. This means whoever is born in the U.S. and is subject to its jurisdiction is automatically granted U.S. citizenship. source

Sometimes, parents and siblings can also. Less than 20% of countries practice this.

Citizenship in a Globalized World, although written in 2006, is informative and covers many aspects.

An excellent, detailed and long website entitled "Questions and Answers on dual US/other country citizenship."  Of special interest is question 12, "But it's against the law to have more than one passport, isn't it?" and question 14, "My son/daughter was born overseas. Can he/she become a US citizen?"  From question 14:

"An American who has a child born outside the US should contact the nearest US embassy or consulate as soon as possible, to request an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This form needs to be filled out by both parents and returned with payment (check with the consulate in advance to be sure what the current fee is and what forms of payment will be accepted), as well as supporting documents including parents' birth certificates, marriage certificate, passports, and the child's own birth certificate. For the supporting documents to be returned, you must enclose sufficient local postage for registered mail (ask the consulate for the required amount), or else bring everything in person to the consulate (in which case they will prepare the certificate while you wait; expect the process to take about an hour). Note, once again, that a child born abroad under these circumstances is a US citizen by birth (in addition to possibly being a citizen of the country of birth). The "consular report of birth abroad" is not a bestowal of US citizenship, but simply an acknowledgment of same."

 Some airlines restrict travel after 32 weeks. Here is the CDC website regarding travel when pregnant.

If headed to Costa Rica, here is a thread about birth practices there. It leads you to an OB/GYN named Adam Paer who works at Hospital Catolico in San Jose. His name pops up a lot among American, natural-birth parents having their child in Costa Rica. Here he is again, with his contact info (at the bottom) and also info on doulas too. Again here, written by a nurse, includes a ten-minute interview in which he discusses water birth. We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: