Friday, September 16, 2011

News from Salt & Light

Well, it has been a month since I last posted, and I wanted (thanks to a nice comment from a reader on an older post) to let you know where I've been.

First, prepping slowed down hard and fast when my husband's semester ended and we dropped our income by 1/3. Then, the school year started and I was really busy with my homeschool group leadership responsibilities and the new homeschool year, this year with 3 students (because my daughter is bigger now). Last, my laptop bit it and now to use the computer, I have to sit in front of the tv hooked up to the other laptop with a broken screen. It's a little Acer and the keyboard is TINY so it's a pain to type on. Wahh.

Anywho, there has been NO RAIN in Central Texas for waaay too long and you've probably heard about the fires here last week which were spread by winds off Tropical Storm Lee. Smoke in my area, but we have been safe. That's another thing, we've been collecting homeschool materials for families who lost everything in the fires. It's ironic that we just celebrated the year anniversary of our flood, caused by Tropical Storm Hermine, and now we're all praying for rain.

Another development is that we are creating plans to use creative owner financing to purchase the home we're in, which is my prepper daydream:
  • well water
  • one acre
  • barn
  • long driveway
  • out of town, but in town
  • grandfathered for animals (goats, chickens, etc)
  • big house w 2 master suites (and 5 other bedrooms!)
I measured the back part of the property; it's 9000 sq ft for goats. Behind the detached garage is a similar size  area that we've cordoned off for our square foot garden. Then there is a similar size area right out the back door for the kids to play. Off to the side is an area, about 30ft by 40 ft, that is where I want to create my chicken run.

Three goats I was planning on buying were set free and presumably burned up in the recent fires. I had just purchased 3 Polish Crested chickens, but my two hens were killed last night and now my rooster looks lonely. No chickies for me, from those girls. *sigh* I may be the worst farmer ever, but at least I'm getting these failures under my belt now.

So that's what I've been up to. More posts soon, I promise.



We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but admire your persevirence and kindness to others. If we help each other and take life one day at a time we can get through it all.
Kelly Paratus