Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Prepping for Future Births









I have five children.
  1. daughter- supposed to be born at a birthing center, but my water broke and I didn't go into labor. Induced with Pitocin, no pain meds, 9 hour labor, 6 lbs 11 oz. Midwife attended.
  2. son- born at birthing center in a tub, no pain meds, 9 hour labor, 9 lbs even. Midwife attended.
  3. daughter- supposed to be born at home, but we were out of town and she was born at hospital, no pain meds, 3 hour labor. She was very sick and was on antibiotics for 10 days for "Group B Strep," and would've died without them. 6 lbs 14 oz. OB attended.
  4. son- born at hospital, 7 hour labor, epidural, 7 lbs 14 oz. OB attended.
  5. son- born at home, 3 hour labor. 9 lbs 14oz. Midwife attended.
So I've had quite the range of experiences. I used to want to be a midwife in high school. I love being pregnant, nursing, it all comes easily to my body. Many women don't have this, and struggle with nausea, heartburn, spotting etc during the pregnancy and complications during labor.

I found a website that caters to midwives and those who plan a home birth. It's called Cascade and it looks great. It sells IV fluid bags very affordably and individually. Previously I've only found huge quantities (as a lot) for big money on Amazon. I created a kit with gloves, IVs, and a bunch of other stuff for 5 deliveries for less than $150.
We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: