Friday, December 10, 2010

A Thought for Next Year's Garden

I thought that I would mention a smart idea I read somewhere.

You should definitely be buying and properly storing organic non-GMO seeds for your garden so you can save the seeds. However, I think it is also a good idea to buy a big assortment of readily available cheap seeds too. However, "(GMO) seeds, on the other hand, do not always reproduce true to type. The hybrid seeds will grow, but you might have some variance in your results, so if you want the exact same type of plant, it is usually necessary to buy new seed every year." (source)


This is my thought process: In high school economics class when learning about the stock market, you didn't actually buy stocks and watch their prices go up and down. No, you had an imaginary $1000 that you pretended to buy stocks with, and then you watched "your" stocks for the semester to see if you "made" any money. It's the same with this seed idea.


Last spring when I planted my "learn-to-farm" garden, like all good preppers I used my organic non-GMO seeds. I felt a heavy pressure to do well, even though I had no experience, because my seeds were expensive. At that time I didn't even own a seed-saving book. Now I do. I've read it. I still haven't had any experience, much less success, with gardening or seed-saving.


So here's what I propose. Buy cheap seed to practice on. Grow it, learn to harvest the seeds. When you've gotten the hang of it, switch over to your smart organic non-GMO seeds.


And for pete's sake, tell your Senators that Senate Bill S510 is stupid.




We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: