Monday, December 20, 2010

Supply Bucket

Usually when someone calls you repetitive, it's not a complement. But if you're a prepper and someone does, be glad! If I had to tell you three things about prepping it would be:

  1. water water water water: have enough!
  2. redundant systems: 3 is 2, 2 is 1, 1 is a big fat ZERO.
  3. rule of 3: AIR-WATER-FOOD: you can survive an extreme situation depriving you of these elements for only 3 minutes, 3 days, 3 weeks. Prep in that order.
Today I want to address number 2 above by telling you about my supply buckets. It starts out simply enough, a 5 or 6 gallon bucket with a screw-on lid. Then, add:


  1. Berkey filter
  2. spigot, rubber washer
  3. plastic tubing (at least 4-6 ft)
  4. spool of florist wire
  5. 2-geared, swing-away can opener
  6. rat and mouse traps
  7. pencils, sharpener, composition notebook
  8. heavy duty tinfoil
  9. package oven bags
  10. roll duct tape
  11. roll para cord
  12. lamp, lamp oil, extra wick
  13. lighter, butane, big box matches
  14. winter and summer seed assortment
  15. Mylared hypochlorite powder
  16. pkg clothes pins & clothes line
  17. J hooks and pulleys for clothes line
  18. baking soda + cream of tartar
  19. pkg sea salt
  20. knige sharpener
  21. bottle adult multi-vitamins
  22. folder of printouts
If possible, if there was room and finances enough, a manual wheat grinder. That is sorta wishful thinking, but you never know what you might find at a yard sale.

The idea behind this bucket is to have everything you might want in a crazy situation. Each of these items are in my home, in my preps, in my cabinets and supplies. The supply bucket simply assembles them into one place for convenience. However, if TSHF and a family member needed it, or I had to bug-out I could grab this bucket and GO! I am planning to make as many of these as I can. Maybe next year, I could give each family unit in my family one. But I'd still have a few on hand to fulfill the need for redundant systems.

The bucket can be used for a million things, including washing clothes. The spigot is for filtered water to be dispensed from, the siphon is to get water out of heavy or large containers, and of course the hypochlorite (pool shock) is to disinfect the water before you filter it, or to make and sell/barter bleach.

The salt, baking soda, cream of tartar and multi-vitamins are just some basic nutritional necessities. The paracord, duct tape, and florist wire have a multitude of uses. The tinfoil and oven bags are for off-grid cooking. I think the rest of the supplies are pretty self-explanatory. I bend the composition notebook to match the curve of the bucket and it all fits pretty well.

The last item may well be the most important. It has the crucial printouts from the hundreds of lists, recipes, instructions, ratios, frequencies etc that you have determined the most important for your family and situation. This will be covered in a future post.

One thing I'd love to have in there is a couple of grams of gold taped to the inside! What do you think I'm forgetting? Keep in mind the space!

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: