Saturday, December 11, 2010

Appleseed Weekend

We enjoyed some winter weather camping at (sorta) local Appleseed event last weekend. From their website: "Our volunteer instructors travel across the country teaching those who attend about the difficult choices, the heroic actions, and the sacrifices that the Founders made on behalf of modern Americans, all of whom are their “progeny.”"

The majority of the time was spent in marksmanship training. I took my two oldest and although I sat out of the shooting to assist the kids, it was a great time. At 9 and 7 they were the youngest there. There were less than 20 shooters and 4 instructors. We all got plenty of attention and assistance, and they were helpful and patient. The range was extremely safe the entire time.


We camped out on the land that night, and although it was a rush job packing, and we weren't allowed to have an open fire (just a stove), it was alot of fun. We put two flat metal panels on the dry grass and had a propane burner to cook on. A cast iron skillet and an old-fashioned stovetop percolator were all we had to cook with. My kids loved using their enamelware cups and camelbak bladders. There were 7 of us in all, but we didn't even use 5 gallons of water, but we did know that we were going home to wash everything. Everyone was warm, but man was it cold getting up in the morning!


I grew up camping so I love it. Alot of the camping I did was when we accompanied my dad to his civil war re-enactments, so for me, the smell of gunpowder is a familiar part of camping. My kids made me proud. It was the first time for them on the range. They didn't even touch the target in the startup round, and by the time we left they were in the right area every time. When they got tired of shooting, they took a break and ran around the field to the back of the range (it was totally safe don't worry!). My daughter used her .22 Chipmunk rifle (it was mine when I was little!) and my son used one of the instructor's .22s with a scope. He loved it!!

Here's an excellent post from a blog you should follow, Accept the Challenge. His Appleseed post is much more in depth and detailed about exactly what to expect and bring.




We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

2 comments:

Chief Instructor said...

Appleseed rocks! If I may be so bold, here's a post I did on my experience. I did two previous posts on what I went through to prepare for the course.

http://bisonrma.blogspot.com/2010/06/im-appleseeder.html

mama4x said...

Thanks for the comment- I love your blog and it was the first place I had heard of Appleseed. So thanks for planting the "seed!"