Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Water in a Time of Cholera

One fast, easy, cheap thing you can do today is grab a box of pool shock the next time you go to chinamart. I got 5 1# bags in a box for about $17, I think.


It is 100% Calcium Hypochlorite with 65% available chlorine. Cost, about $4. You can find this same formula elsewhere as well. With this pound of Pool Shock, you can now make 1,000 bottles of chlorine bleach. Each time you drink one of your pint bottles of water, save it. When you refill that little bottle with filtered water, and add pool shock, you have a bottle of great disinfecting bleach. Each one of those 1,000 pint bottles of chlorine bleach can be added to 12 gallons of filtered water. Let it sit 30 minutes, and you have 12 gallons of safe drinkable water. So your one pound of Pool Shock will disinfect 12,000 gallons of water. I actually have 7 pounds of Pool Shock set aside. If things really fall apart, I plan to sell/barter pint bottles of bleach to others who are less prepared for long-term troubles. Since I have enough Shock set aside for 7,000 bottles of bleach, I should have a nice little business, and I'll save lives at the same time.

How's that for a super-cheap barter tool, and water safety at the same time?! With cholera spreading through Haiti, it's something to think about.

Berkey suggests putting Clorox into questionable water and then running it through the Black Berkey filter will get rid of every waterborne threat.



We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

2 comments:

Bitmap said...

The downside to that stuff is long term storage. The chemicals will react with the bags and turn them brittle so that they fall apart. The shock itself will change from granules to a sort of white goo. I don't know if the granules turning to goo is a side effect of the bags breaking down or not.

Long term it might be better to transfer it to glass containers, but I don't know if that will solve the goo problem.

mama4x said...

Hm, I was reading that Clorox denatured after a while but that the shock lasted a long time. I was planning on repackaging it in Mylar to protect it from water. Is the goo knowledge from personal experience? I wonder if it was damp or wet and it partially dissolved. Also I wonder if that would affect it's ability to act as Clorox to purify water. Thanks for the input!