Monday, October 4, 2010

Water and other Essentials

Here's an eye-opening article by Ferfal about Economic Preps.

I was using the search bar on Craigslist, something I do about once a week, using words like
  • rainwater collection
  • canning
  • dehydrator
  • bucket
  • wheat grinder/ grain mill

and whatever else I happen to think of. It's a good way to cross things off my list at a lower price.

I found a guy this way who sells barrels for water or food storage. His prices were lower than the other local guy I had bought from a few months ago. He also has 6 gallon buckets with a screw-on lid for only $4! He gives a dicount for buying more than 3 at a time, and he said he'd drop the discount but deliver it in exchange!

I was doing the math for my family of 6:

1 gal each X 6 people X one week = 42 gallons a week. Rounding up to 55 gallons means one barrel would take care of us for one week.

55 gallons X 5 weeks = 275 gallons. This is the exact capacity of the largest barrels he has for sale, at $90. So my new goal is to have 12 of these under my deck, filled with city or rain water, for at least a one-year supply of water.

I understand that these are the bare minimums. One gallon a day per person is just drinking and water for that person's cooking. In addition, two of "my people" are under 5 years old. We also have decent rainfall. There is a creek in my backyard, literally. It does dry up during droughts, when you need water the most.

Many writers urge you to rotate water supplies. I plan on running all my stored water through my Berkey anyway. Berkey suggests treating water with Clorox and then filtering it through the Berkey.

One method I like the idea of, for the kids at least, is outdoor bathing. My kids love putting on their suits and playing in the rain. I just love the idea of using a large plastic sheet to collect rainwater. Imagine how quickly you can gather water by funneling it into a rubbermaid tote for a bath! Then you can wash your hair.

The Japanese have a bath ritual that I know only the gist of. One at a time, the family member sudses down their body on a seat near the tub. They rinse with a cupful or two. Then they soak in the same tub as each other (but their bodies are clean, so no one gets the dirty grey water). You probably have heard of a similar idea when you use rationed water to wash dishes. Wash in one bin. Rinse. Use rinse water to wash the next load.

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!



No comments: