Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Waste Not

Since cash is tight, I thought that another way you could add to your food stores is this:

when you reach that point when you look at the ____ on the counter/ in the fridge and you think "we better eat that, or we'll have to throw it out" do this:

Dry it on your dehydrator! If you don't have one already, make a solar drier, or get one off Craigslist for free or cheap. Plenty of people have one they planned on using, but didn't, and you can take it off their hands. Wrote a "wanted" ad for one.

Then, when you see those 2 big baking potatoes, but your Labor Day BBQ got rained out, you can just slice 'em up and dry them. Or the apples. Or whatever. Instead of wasting them, you're suddenly prepping- for free, sort of.

Now when my kids don't finish the banana, I don't get grumpy- I give it to my chickens, and get an egg in return. Yay! Waste not, want not.




We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: