Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thinking of Cooler Weather

I have been re-reading Elliot Coleman's Four-Season Harvest. It makes me want to move to Colorado where I can enjoy cool springs and cold winters. I wish someone would write a book about gardens surviving the hot 6-month summer we have in Central Texas. If you know of one, let me know in the comments!

In the back is a chart for planting dates for winter gardens. It inspired me to get 13 winter vegetable seed packets from Sustainable Seed when they had the $.99 sale a while back. So when we're well in the back-to-school groove but not ready for Thanksgiving, I will be back to planting. Garden 101, round 2!

I finally got Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners. When I made that seed order, I re-ordered a pack of Lemon Cucumber seeds. I mean, how hard can it be to save seeds when they are that big and easily collected? But I didn't. I was so excited to have one thriving plant that I just wolfed them down. But now I have the book and can learn it "officially" for all my plant types.



We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!





1 comment:

Bitmap said...

Okra, cucumbers and beans do well in the heat. My better half has 10lbs of okra that she picked last week waiting for her to do something with. That's from 2 rows about 60' long.