Friday, September 3, 2010

For the Kids

I've watched two movies recently that caused me to think... One was Shutter Island, and the other was The Road.

I'm going to assume you've seen them, since they're not really still "new." When Shutter Island was over, I commented to my husband how Hollywood is training moviegoers. This is nothing new, I know. But it seems like there are so many movies out there depicting people who thought they were solving a problem, living life, and then they are convinced (in a controlled environment) that they are the crazy ones, that they are the deluded ones, and that the institution who they have been suspicious of all along is actually the beneficent protector.

The Road, dubbed as "disaster p0rn" like The Book of Eli and others like it, was terrible. One of the most dreary and gray movies ever- the thought of no plants or animals is so tiring. Suffice to say the whole avoiding cannibals, alluded-to violence was just terrible. As a parent, I felt a horrible fraternity with the father, as he sobbed silently as he had a gun to his son's head to spare him from the treatment of the cannibalistic, roving mob. As he taught the boy just how to hold the pistol barrel in his mouth, if he had to do it himself. Yet in one scene, the power of shelves of canned food was evident as hope flared in his eyes.

Over at Survivalist Blog, he had a recent guest post about prepping with kids that gives us this quote: "the main reason he began prepping in the first place had become the largest liability in the execution of his plan: the children." He wrote that the reason he began prepping was to protect his children, yet when TSHF the kids were screaming, panicky messes.

Where is the fine line between protecting them and not causing them to stress, but giving them realistic preparations. How do you ensure they can carry their weight "in case" when right now we live in this modern suburban life? My heart is heavy for the orphans of Africa, the abandoned girls of China, the hungry, wind-chapped South American child, the sex slaves of Europe, the foster kids of L.A., the lonely abused kid in Appalachia. But my heart beats fast when I think of my own kids in any of those situations, or any number of other bleak ones. But I like to channel my panic attacks in constructive ways. Hence my prepping.

The mama lion in me comes roaring to life when I imagine the whines over a food preference escalating to cries of real hunger. I will do anything to prevent my kids from having to scrounge for food or trade their bodies for shelter. It happens all over the world, folks. If the country has a total collapse in the next few years, it would only make us more like other nations if more of our children had to do so.

Do you know any facts about human trafficking today? If you're interested, you can learn more HERE. What I'm trying to say is this: there are lots and lots of people on the verge of disaster, terrible hunger, loss of control... many populations in our country are going to slip through the cracks, like the children left home alone, the elderly, the foster kids. I will not let my kids down. I have to prepare for their sake.

Prepping with my kids in mind makes me re-evaluate the things I buy. What is the value of a Pepsi for $1.29 to drink on the ride home? I could get something to set aside instead.

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!






1 comment:

Jeanne S said...

I really enjoyed The Road. I've seen a lot of "apocalyptic" movies, and that one was the only so far that I'd give a 5-star rating (out of 5). Yes, it was bleak -- but I thought the desperation made it more realistic.

I'll check out Shutter Island!