Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ethics in Gardening

Picked up 5 dozen pint-size canning jars for $12. Of course, I had to pay about $4 in gas to pick them up, but hey... still a good deal. I got my 23 quart (HUGE) pressure canner today and my kit with the funnel etc is coming soon (the wait is killing me!)

Now I guess I gotta buy something to practice on! (I am not a gardening failure. I am not a gardening failure) A friend of mine's parents are moving to a home near hers. They have to stay with her for over a week while their house settles. She's anticipating it driving her nuts. I, sacrificially, offered to come over and get a canning lesson from her mother. I know. So selfless of me.

I thought of another lesson I learned from my garden this year. Not to underplant. I (audaciously) assumed (you know what that means!) that almost everything I planted would thrive. Ha! So I planted 4 of everything. We don't need too much, I thought. Ha! So next year I will sow generously!

What are your thoughts on this idea:

My husband has worked in landscaping for a long time. I asked him the other day if it was true that some landscaping companies will dump extra or trash materials (such as brush, extra stone, etc) in a vacant lot to avoid dump fees or misc. small piles of materials at their own lot. He confirmed this practice. Well I was driving the other day and saw at least a pickup truckload's worth of what looked like builder's sand in a lot beside the road. I covet this load of sand because my parents, who have 6 acres nearby, fenced off a big section for me to garden in. It was very clay-ey so we mixed in aged manure. But we still needed coarse sand, of which we had none. So... is it ethical of me to collect this sand for my garden? And what time of day should I collect it?

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!



1 comment:

suek said...

Can you contact the owner of the lot?

I wouldn't feel too unethical about taking it - but you never know ... it is _possible_ that s/he paid to have it dumped. If it was reasonably possible, I'd try to contact the owner and explain the situation, and ask permission. Do you have any realtor acquaintances? They might be able to help you locate the owner's name...

By the way... years ago, I lived in an area of So.Calif which was basically clay adobe. Ground like you wouldn't believe! You don't want to add sand, because sand plus clay = concrete. A friend had horses, and made it a practice to dump _all_ her horse manure into one specific area. It took a couple of years, but after she turned it under, she had a _fantastic_ garden. Maybe there's a group where you can advertise for free horse manure dumping?