Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Store what You Eat!


Well, well... prepping has slowed for us lately, unfortunately. I did interview my kids as to what they would actually eat and love to eat and eat in any situation, so that I could increase my pantry in those areas. Hubby and I can eat beans and rice but I don't want the kids wasting away under my nose. Of course, they reported their collective love of mac n cheese, peanut butter and jelly, pizza, and granola bars. Of course! I asked them if they would like a pb & j on soft french bread and they were skeptical.

Tried dehydrating some shredded mozzarella cheese, to go with the homemade pizza dough ingredients and tomato sauce. Gotta store what they'll eat, right? It turned out good- dry. I want to put some on a slice of bread and see what happens when I bake it, if it melts right. It wasn't too hard to do- I read someone's post about it and was glad I did. They mentioned laying paper towels on the drying racks and changing them out periodically. I wouldn't have thought of that.

We don't use paper towels, not self-sufficient as throwing a washcloth in the washer, so I had to use 2 cheap paper napkins that we had for a party. Changed them once, and the cheese dried really fast (compared to fruit). So we'll see how it melts before I do more.

I stored it in a glass jar. Two dehydrator racks of cheese became about 1 1/4 cups of dried cheese. I sucked the air out with my awesome Pump-N-Seal, so it's set for storage.





We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: