Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Solar Cooking, attempt 1


My daughter is into the pioneer lifestyle. She frequently makes "soup" outside in bowls from seasonings and leaves. She will put hose water in a metal washtub and strip her two-year-old brother and "bathe" him. She wears skirts and, under duress, I made her a bonnet.

After another failed attempt at feeding me a taste of her "soup" she was dramatically lamenting how much she wanted to cook, but couldn't. So I told her about solar cooking, specifically about a method I thought she could handle that I had just read about.

It seemed pretty simple, and I thought her (our) chances of success would be high, seeing as we live in Central Texas and it's already sweltering out here in early May. *sigh*

I read about painting large Mason jars with barbecue paint and leaving them in the sun for the day to cook the contents with solar power. So we went over to the store and picked up a dozen wide-mouth quart size Mason jars, and a can of barbecue paint (it had to be verified that I was, indeed, at least 18, and allowed by law to purchase). Came home, put a strip of masking tape down one side as a window and sprayed those suckers down with the paint.

Of course, making a solar cooking attempt of any kind, just like washing your car, ensures rainy weather. So we had to wait a few days. Then the 3rd day we forgot to put them out until early afternoon. Up to this writing we haven't actually cooked anything in them. When the wet weather clears, and I remember in the morning to try, I want to try 2 things first: some kind of dough, and zucchini. I'll let you know what happens!

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

1 comment:

pat said...

It may be too late in the year now . . . but 100 degrees, cookie dough on a cookie sheet, dashboard of car, all windows closed, 4-6 hours equals DELICIOUS and 100% baked by the sun. :-)

Pat