Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Smell of Gunpowder

Went to the range with my father yesterday. I grew up shooting at targets- my dad was National Guard my whole life, an avid hunter and shooter. For a short while I was on a rifle team in middle school, and earned the Marksman ribbon in Air Force basic training. So the smell of gunpowder is somewhat comforting to me, and it was nice to get it in my nostrils again. However, I haven't been to the range in a few years.

My husband inherited a Glock 40 caliber that he said was "for me," but it's size made me doubt I could CC it with any success, and it's power was intimidating.

I brought it and found it was no fun. I did enjoy the .22 pistol and the .38 and .32 pistols. I really enjoyed the tiny .380, although the extended trigger pull took some getting used to. We shot from about 7 yards and I am pleased to report that I haven't lost any skill I once had- I hit the target almost every shot, and had some great groupings. We're taking the first steps to find a trade for a .380 and maybe a shotgun for the Glock.

Hopefully this all makes sense, since I have never written about shooting before!

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

1 comment:

Bitmap said...

Glad you had fun.

My advice: Go to a good fighting/shooting school.

A decent school is not inexpensive but it will teach you more about running your gun (and have you enjoying your Glock) in a very short time.