Friday, April 9, 2010

Food Dehydration


Well, I just turned on the food dehydrator for the first time. As it whirrs in the background, I am plotting my next grocery store trip with it in mind.

Right now, however, it has 2 of the 5 racks full, mainly just stuff I got off the counter to try it out. (yeah, pretty impatient). A can of corn is spread on the top rack. You know how you get a cup-o-ramen and it has 4 or 5 dried corn kernels? I like 'em, so I hope that my kids will eat these. On the second rack is one cut up banana (too soft to eat) and a lemon.

I'm curious how the lemon turns out; when I think self-sufficient, I try to think of replacements for the things I don't think I could get if the 18-wheelers stopped rolling, restocking our local stores every 3 days. I don't have a lemon or grapefruit tree and they are called for in my home remedy book.

I want to try out olives the dehydrator this week. We like olives, and there's no way to get them or cure them (without the truckers), so that is my number one experiment. I'm going to email my friend who has a Costco membership and ask her to pick up a 10# can for me.

We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!



4 comments:

LizBeth said...

I just found your blog a couple of days ago, and I've just been reading through a little. If you don't mind my asking, since I'm newer to dehydrating than you are (and that is pretty new!), are you certain about dehydrating olives? I have been reading a book about food preserving, and I thought that olives were on the no-no list. Trying to find the mention, but it escapes me at the moment. It might be that because they are so oily, that thy would turn rancid quickly. Do you know for certain, or know someone else who does this? I mean no offense, I would just hate to see you waste a big can of olives - if that is indeed the case. I don't know about you, but there is SOOOO much to learn about food storage and preparation, that I am overwhelmed by it all! Best wishes! ~Liz

mama4x said...

Wow, thanks for my first comment!! I will have to look into that. The green olives are more oily than the black ones, and I have them in airtight containers, but I will def. look into that! Welcome!!

mama4x said...

Only about 5 articles popped up, some were backpackers that were using the olives in the next week or so. They suggested pouring boiling water over the oily olives and then drying them. Mine were def. brined in salt water and not the more expensive oil-packed ones. We'll see.

LizBeth said...

Hadn't thought of the salt water bit. Bet that would reduce the oil some. Good luck!