Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Preps


Well, spring has sprung- Now it is dark in the morning when we wake up. They're selling 6-inch tall tomato plants at my grocery store, which makes me feel behind- our seeds just came in the mail the other day. I feel good about the vegetables I chose, but I am a little overwhelmed when I see the size of the patches I planned to plant for wheat and sunflowers. I found a plan for a homemade oil press online and I want to press our own oil this fall, hence the sunflowers.

Our chickies are about a month old, and they are getting bigger every day. They get more of their own character as their feathers fill out and their coloring becomes more distinctive. Man, do they drink a lot of water! It was hard to pay over $5 for two dozen eggs yesterday, when I imagined my soon-to-be-free supply of eggs.

We lost one chick as we unpacked the carrier when we brought them home, otherwise we haven't had any casualties. I'm looking forward to getting them out of the garage and into their coop. We're using an old swingset A-frame as a base. Of course, I don't plan on it being as beautiful as the one above, but that is our size/shape we're going for.

I was very ambitious and planned an entire bed of "chicken crops," or crops that will yield different grains/seeds for chicken feed, including pumpkins, chard, and radishes for them to peck.

Now, when I'm always thinking self-sufficiency, if it rains, I just wonder how many gallons of water I'm not collecting! I found a restaurant owner locally who is selling soda concentrate containers very inexpensively- 15 gal, 55 gal, and 330 gal. I have to call him and ask about the screw-on lid for the 55-gallon drum, if it is tight enough for dry materials.

My best discovery this week was learning that the local LDS food storage store (click on "location" in their nav bar, or just call your local branch for info- don't have to be a member to buy!) sells

I was comparing prices online and was having a lot of trouble comparing apples to apples. 50# bag, 45# pail, 45# mylar-sealed, re-sealable pail, 25# bag, blah blah blah. The prices ranged from $25 to $90. Now that I've found it locally and cheap, I think I'm going to buy it here and get supplies to store it safely.

Donut shops and Mexican restaurants that make their own tortillas have 4 or 5-gal buckets that you can get for free, or maybe grocery stores that make donuts or bread in-store. If I can get free buckets, then all I have to do is buy re-sealing lids online.

-square lids ($2.50 each)
-round lids ($8.95 each)
-5-gal Mylar bags (with reg. lids)(have to scroll down)


We're so pleased you are reading Farming Salt & Light! Choose how you live!

No comments: